Search This Blog

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Learn good things from others

Just some time back I had dinner with my friend (+ philosopher + brother) Madhav (aka Mady). We were talking about natya sangeet and I started criticizing one great singer with examples pointing to his personal life. Mady did not said that I am wrong, he just said that if we have to take examples from others lives or if we want to talk about others personal life then we should look at the good things they did in their life rather than the bad ones.

In Delcam me and one of my colleague always used to have verbal fight regarding Aamir Khan and SRK. I always attack the subject of SRK with comments like "he is not more than ta ta pa pa and ka ka ka ka Kiran" or "he is not worth watching". One fine day I faced question inside "do I deserve to talk about SRK?", "Who gives me rights to talk any shit comes to my mind against anybody?", "Do I have ability to act at least 1% good as that of SRK?, have I ever faced camera?". After that I always tried to kept mum on this topic (rather I promised I will never talk about SRK again on lunch table and forgot my promise once - hope this will never happen again). I think it would be worth observing why SRK is so much popular - definitely it is because of hard work. SRK is the person who came from non-filmy background family and reached the King Khan position. I will not discuss his personal life in my blog but if you search for SRK on google I think his personal life is great.

We Indians say lot of times that western culture is bad culture and western people have bad personal life. I think we discuss it so much that when Indians go to west most of the times they take bad things from west and forget to look at the good points. I was in UK for 6 weeks, I could see that people come early to office and they leave early (mostly 9am to 5pm). I hardly found anybody working after 7pm. But the other side of the story was in day time I never saw them browsing personal emails or orkuting or chatting for long hours or taking long lunch break. I think we should look at the positive side of the western culture. I was talking to one of my Guru's few weeks back and we were discussing about western culture, his comments made me think - "In India people do not take divorce because of the social pressure they might face or because they think about their kids future, rather western people are bold enough to take divorce and find better match for them" - definitely I do not want to learn that "divorce is good" - but think about the attitude western people that - they do not cheat their mind.

Imagine how great we can become if we take good things from everyone we come in contact? I do not say that follow others but take good things in them if you like it and if you do not like something then do not make your judgment go beyond your mind. Life will be wonderful if we start looking at the positives in everyone we come in contact with. From today I will try to make note of at least 5 good things in the person with whom I come in contact.

5 comments:

Amar Dixit said...

Hi Ashish,

It is very true that human, by nature will criticize that does not suit him/ her. But we always learn as we move forward in life.

Learning the positive side of others is really difficult, but when brought into continuous practice, he/she will earn tremendous respect.

Nice Article.

- Amar

Ashish Sarode said...

Hi Amar thanks for appreciation.

I missed one example in my blog (I was searching for it for quite some time on Google but could not get the exact story, so writing only the part what I know).

In Ramayana, when Ravan was on his death bed, Ram went to location of Ravan's feet and asked Ravan for lesson on some shastra (could not find which one - do post it if you know).

Neha Agnihotri said...

hoo haa...finally!!
good going Ashish...
Nice blog...

Punyatoya said...

Really nice blog Ashish.
As we all know that there is no one who is perfect on this earth. Every individual is a combination of some positive and negative qualities. And again the definition of positive & negative qualities varies on individual basis. So I think if we just try to focus only on the positive qualities(whatever is according to us) of an individual then we might be able to keep both our mind as well as the relationship(if atall we r related) with that individual in harmony. Its like when we look at a rose plant we hardly bother to see the thorns. We simply enjoy the beauty of the flower!

Ashish Sarode said...

Thanks for appreciating my thoughts Neha and Punya.

Neha - I will try my best to not to talk about SRK in future (At least nothing negative). Hope I will make changes in my mind set - what I wrote here in this blog.

Punya - I liked your analogy of rose.