Search This Blog

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Neutral thinking

**Note before writing this blog - This blog speaks about something I always felt in life but I think I got words to express these thoughts after reading of Know thyself

I always I like to (love to) read books. I was reading Dale Carnegie and Shiv Khera for quite some time in my college days and continued with some of the books talking about the positive attitude even after college. Though reading books by Dale Carnegie like "How to win friends and influence people" or reading something from Normal Vincent Peale like "The power of positive thinking" makes you happy for the moment. If you loose contact with these books chances are you will forget this superficial positive thinking course.
Why? either of the positive or negative thoughts makes you think of the partial side of the object. I have belief that half truth can never make you really happy, it can take control of your conscious mind for some period of time but it will never be able to satisfy your sub-conscious mind (rather soul). It is as simple as if I keep looking at the positive part of the number line I am never looking at the complete number line - I am only looking at part of it, and to face the real world we can not ignore negative numbers.

What I believe could be the ideal way of looking at things is 'Neutral thinking' i.e. Neither think positively nor negatively - just observe the things as they are, and never 'how they should be?'.

How can neutral thinking help me?
Neutral thinking could help everyone because then you do not get positive or negative surprises or chain of inter-woven positive and negative thoughts. This is because I am not thinking about something - I am just looking at it. When I think with positive or negative perspective then having the perspective of looking at the subject makes the subject hard to digest - because then you do not look at the actual subject - you just look to verify or you make fool of yourself my making your mind convinced about the thought which is not real.

When I say that I am born to win then it makes my mind constrained to think of victory as the purpose of life, is winning the purpose of your life? Does winning matters more or the joy of play? I am convinced that for me the joy of playing matters much more than winning. What if I loose? - I need not think that I will win next time - but I should look forward for the joy I will get from the next play. Though I have used the word joy here I think really what I mean is 'feeling being an alive part of the play' than just a stupid player who plays not for himself.

So decide what you want to be optimist, pessimist or just an observer.

2 comments:

Ketan said...

May be just right way of living life...best of luck...

we can try and live like that and see if it makes it any difference... :)...but at the same time..never stop searching for better options...

Anonymous said...

yes...this technique of "just observing things without labelling it" us been prescribed by many seeres and self-realized souls, saints etc.
Though very very difficult to try out, its worth doing :-)