Search This Blog

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Shivaputra

When I joined Tata Johson Controls (my first company), on first day only I met Shivputra. To all new joiners Shivputra gives (at least used to give) one half photo-copied page for sign language. Shivputra is deaf and dumb but he is very good in expressing himself. If some one would have given him company uniform, he would have looked as handsome as engineers working in the organization.

Generally people with any kind of disability have some kind of negative attitude (inferiority complex) towards life. Shivaputra was totally different he always looked full of energy and enthusiasm. Mady (Madhav Khadilkar) learned his language very fast and helped me many a times communicating with Shivaputra. They used to talk(?) so fast that it was difficult for me to understand what they are discussing, but I could understand few things from their expressions and body language.

In TJC's building next to our office there was office of some air travel company (probably quatar airways). Some times I used to give lift to Shivaputra on my way home. I was waiting at COEP signal and something unusual happened. In car next to me there was a young air hostess and I could not believe why her car window is open and she is contiguously looking at me (what a happy feeling!!), (No no I was not so lucky - when I looked back my doubt was right) she was looking at (talking to) Shivaputra. Then afterwards I come to know that Shivaputra have many friends in Sohrab hall (old TJC office), from girls in Qatar airways to people working in hero mind mine.

Another surprising incident which I have not seen myself. in 2005 Endurance was one of the few high class gyms in Pune. Daughter of one of very well known businessman used to come to Endurance. She was one of only 6 or so owners of Mercedes Maybach (Rs. 5 crore car) in India at that time. When people come to know about this - many of engineers went to terrace to see this car. Engineers were very happy to have look of Maybach. Shivaputra went and requested (I do not know to drive or to owner) to see the car from inside, and even got opportunity to see Maybach from inside!!

Most of the time office boys in any company do their assigned work and keep chit-chatting in free time. Shivaputra shown some spark here as well, he used to ask us his doubts about using computer and Internet. Many people used to help him, Mady was the most helpful of those I guess. He learned how to type!! He have personal email account!! (I have lost touch with him and he did not reply to my last email so I am not sure if he using any other account now a days).

It is bad thing that I forgot to keep contact with Shivaputra (few times I tried to contact him on orkut and email) after I left TJC. God bless Shivaputra.

There are many other incidences I remember about Shivaputra probably blog is very small place to write those memories. I hope at least few of my old TJC colleagues will feel good after refreshing their memories about Shivaputra.

As I was writing this blog, I remembered few thoughts from the book "The Power of Positive Thinking" -
- Today many are handicap because of mental illness of self doubt (may not be exact sentence).
I think all those mental illness can be cured looking at the example of Shivaputra.

If you have read this blog till end - please pray for Shivaputra at least once, so that tomorrow many other people can look at him and will get cure for their mental illness.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashish,
Shivaputra still works with TJC.
His phone no is: +919890950322.
His and his wife's B'date is 1st June(what a coincidence!!!).

Jaydeep H said...

Good one mate!

Ketan said...

sometimes...simple things leave impressions....

Abhay said...

Good one.

Aarti said...

hi ashish !!
well all i cna say is u made it a point to observe n learn from people like him ... god bless this person ... a real person. n life is all about the way of thinking.. this is aa live example..