Search This Blog

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Can I live without tea?

I am used to morning tea for more than 20 years. From past 9-10 years I am almost addicted to 5-6 cups of tea per day. But recently I am realizing that I waste great amount of time and health for tea.

Let me first write what are the advantages of tea
1. Morning tea makes me (and other tea addicts) feel fresh. We get great enthusiasm for starting day.
2. For people in IT companies who do not move from their desks for hours it is good habit to go for tea - because your muscles get some change.
3. At tea stalls (taparis) you can develop many friends. You will get to meet people from all departments at taparis like development, application, sales, HR and what not
4. Generally if you go to any tea tapari near company you will get to know much information about the type of project that are going on in your company. What are the things other people work on. Also if in area like Hinjewadi (IT Park in Pune) you will also get to know about projects and work environments in neighboring companies.
5. When I go for trek I have observed that if I take 1 cup of tea before simple trek like Sinhagad, I need no water for 3 hours (I do not understand why cold-drinks or lemon water do not give this effect - might be this is completely psychological)


Now let me come to disadvantages why leaving all these +ve points I am thinking about living without tea
1. I think teeth are worse affected because of tea. Because -
a. tea is hot - much more temperature than body temperature
b. tea is sweet (I am not talking about black tea or tea without sugar) - sugar is bad for teeth :(
2. I also think from my past company I have developed habit for tea after lunch and now the problem is I do not feel comfortable without tea after lunch and same is the case with morning tea - I do not feel fresh without morning tea. Any addictive thing is bad :(
3. I take tea 5 times a day
a. for morning tea I waste 10 minutes of study
b. for second morning tea I need to leave home 10 mins earlier because I do not want to waste office hours for tea
c. For afternoon tea I waste 15-20 mins because generally tea addicts are accompanied by smokers and cigarette takes around 10 mins to finish and time for going to tapari/ waiting at tapari takes around 10 mins.
d. Again since I am addicted to tea after lunch it wastes 20 more minutes
e. Same thing in evening - after leaving company I waste 15 mins at tea stall - so I unnecessarily come bit late home.
4. In past I have tried to save time for tea (point no. 3) by taking tea available in company. But whichever companies I have worked for they always provide machine tea - and I have opinion that it is *very* bad for health. And I do not at all like Black tea or block coffee kind of things
5. Tea is probably bad for weight - 5 cups of tea means 5*1.25 = 6.25 spoons of sugar :(
6. I pay 3*5 = 15 Rs per day (minimum - actually at CCD 45 or 55 Rs per tea). So for a month I pay around 450 Rs and for a year around 5400Rs :(

Looking at the negative I have decided say bye bye to tea. Let's see if I could do this. This will save more than 1 hour per day!!

3 comments:

Ashish Sarode said...

I forgot to mention one of worse effects of tapari tea. Passive smoking - I am habituated to it for past 2.5 years.
Thought I do not smoke - passive smoking is worse than active smoking :(

Ashish Sarode said...

Answer -
I could.

Tried this first for 6 days.

Then broke this rule on Sunday.

Again lived without tea for 4.5 day

Broke the rule Friday evening.

Bijo said...

you are probably addicted to the caffeine and sugar in tea.

The amount of caffeine in coffee and tea varies based on brewing times and methods. General guidelines for beverage caffeine content include the following:

* Brewed coffee (8 oz) - 120 mg
* Instant coffee (8 oz) - 70 mg
* Iced tea (8 oz) - 60 mg
* Hot tea (8 oz) - 60 mg
* Caffeinated soft drink (12 oz) - 50 mg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine#Tolerance_and_withdrawal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine#Overuse
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/290113-overview

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_addiction