Search This Blog

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Only I am ideal

I do not remember how the subject on the lunch table went to police. As always there were some who were saying that people join police service only to get extra money, and there were few who felt that not all the police are bad and there are few noble in them as well.
In the start I was in the group saying "all the police are corrupt".

Afterwards when I thought deeply about this subject, I could understand following points.
1. We comment negatively on police, politicians and other government employees because many times we see lack of will, enthusiasm and corruptness in these professionals.
2. Everybody can see people belonging to these profession doing wrong things very easily. Since they come directly into contact with all of us.
3. Really speaking in India salaries of government employees (including politicians) are very very less.
4. Politicians. police and many others in government jobs handle much tensed situations than general people like me and you come across.
5. We always want someone else to blame for all problems in this world and these are the professions against which we can unanimously raise our voice.

Now why do I think that they are not that bad? - because the tag of good/ bad/ better/ best/ worse can be attached only to a person. I can not make statement like all politicians are bad, or all police are bad. Forming a generalized opinion is really wrong thing on our part. Like you and me they are also human beings.

Are we really good people?
1. We choose careers like Dr. or engineer or architect because these are noble professions - are not the careers like police, politician also noble? We do not join those careers why?
- Many of us are not ready to work on those lower salaries
- If salary is not problem then we give reason of safety. These profession involve risk of life.
- If not both above then some people say that only corrupt people can fit these professions... why? are not these professions really the reflection of society? It is you and me who form this society.
2. How many of us stop on road when we see some accident? How many of us try to raise voice against loafers in public places when they are disturbing some girl (who is in noway related to you)?
3. How many of us help blind person to cross road? How many of us give good tip to the waiter if we get good service in hotel? How many of us give 2Rs to the mechanic working on petrol pump for filling air in tire (Petrol pump of at least BPC have board free - air)?

I know most of you and me will give negative answers to above questions (be honest).
We don't want to perfect ourselves but we expect perfection from everybody else.

Coming back to the subject of politicians and police. I think anybody whoever gets power, have probability to make it's use for right or wrong purposes. Is not it true that we also see good and bad bosses in companies? Is not it true that even we see good and bad people in our relatives?

The question of good or bad should not be tied with any profession. no profession is bad. It depends on the professional whether s/he wants to use his powers in good way or in bad way. We always think that I am right and there are problems in people around us, think in opposite direction only I am wrong and everybody else is perfect (what I want to say is there are always 2 sides to the coin).

Next time when you will comment on police or politician just ask 2 question to yourself first
1. Why I did not choose this profession, to make corrections in the system
2. Am I an ideal/ perfect human being?... can I expect it from others?

4 comments:

Ketan said...

I think we are always skeptical about the role of police..but I guess on many previous occasions also...we have had arguments over that..police...themselves are not bad..the situations force them to be what they become..and still..not all of them become bad..few of them do lots of good work..would we be appreciating Vijay Salaskar? or lots of other police officials for their good work now??

I have a slightly different view on politicians though..call me cynical about politicans or whatever..their salaries are not at all less...considering the work that they do..I guess that they get really good salaries now a days..and still only few of them work...are they responsible for their actions?? is somebody holding them responsible for the work done or not done?? I wouldnt want to say...all of them are bad..but the problem is most of them are corrupt and bad and thats why they get more bad name than anybody else..

Regarding people scrutinizing themselves...nobody does that..and rather..nobody ever feels that his actions were wrong....otherwise that person wouldnt commit such actions..am I right?? and as a human beings we tend to defend our actions when somebody calls them wrong...so...there is a little chance of improvement after such an action...

I guess the question can be modifed a bit and asked..can we reach the concept of what is an ideal human being? Being ideal would be really difficult...but we call ourselves ideal because most of the times our actions can be justified(by the people whom we respect...)

Important point would be others saying..."HE/SHE is an ideal person..."

Ashish Sarode said...

Hi Ketan,

Thanks for long thoughtful reply.

Yes Vijay Salaskar is 'the hero'.

Regarding politicians -
Moraraji Desai is an excellent example - just google this name.
Atal Bihari Vajpeyi is another example, this person remained bachelor and worked for his nation.
Most of you won't agree but I think even Narendra Modi is good politician.
We have democracy - it means that if something is wrong with the system we should come forward to improve it. If politicians are failing to do their work we have many ways to solve this problem like -
1. Become politician - for doing right job.
2. Give votes to the right candidate.
For more help - http://www.jaagore.com/
3. Protest the system by doing something like strike.

I don't think if I am ideal (I am not) then somebody needs to call me ideal, like nobody needs to call me mad if I am mad. Becoming ideal is what is required not getting called so.

I do agree that title is slightly wrong - I could not think of better title.

Ketan - I have not answered all questions. If possible I will post one more reply.

Neha Agnihotri said...

Now this is called as fruitful outcome of a discussion..
Good to know that now your views are changed on this topic :-)

Arti said...

Hi, Ashish.
Nicely written.. “Every profession is good" that's right. Every profession has it own rules to follow & assignments to do.
my experience with police for two three time was not at all good.. but still i dont think they are all bad. ur first point of salary is worth but i think there is lack of wise understanding about the job ..by looking at many of them can you believe they will run as fast as possible to save ur life? Something seems to be missing in over all training. And that is not the case only for them but for all of us. I heard from Madhav many times that "people feel very much insecure right from there childhood. They are taught like that only." The case is similar, 90% people like me will always learn wrong things very easily...I believe corruption is a big chain & we all are direct or indirect loop of this chain. I don’t know if we can able to change situation in all but will surely raise our voice & do the right things in benefit of society as many times as possible.