Search This Blog

Monday, January 05, 2009

"Stop Forrest stop"

Forrst Gump is one of my 'The Favorite' movies. I remember one scene from the movie when the actress (don't remember name in movie) says Forrest 'Run Forrest run'. The impact it makes is amazing, Forrest is able to run without the supports for his legs.
When I see people around me running and I sometimes think to stop them and ask "But why are you running?". I think many of them do not know why are they running. The most common answer I think they will give is "Because everybody else is running".
Me: but why everyone else is running?
X: because one has to run, without knowing why.
Me: But why are you following them, if you don't know why they are running.
X: That is what I am doing from the time I am born.
Me: so you do the thing that everybody else does.
X: Why - what do you do then
Me: I am trying to find that out. Trying to get our of the rat race. (Pause) What do you think you will achieve running like this?
X: Well I am sure that you won't achieve anything without being part of the race, at least I am running with them.
Me: But I don't want to be a part of the race, when I do not know where it is heading, I do not know why everybody is running and I don't know what will we achieve at the end of it?
X: What do you want to do then?
Me: Is not the life possible without race?
X: I never thought of it.
Me: Neither do I, but now want to do it.

I may not be a good story writer to narrate what I wanted to say (neither do I care - I am writing these blogs for myself)

But I see same unspoken conversations happening around and within me many a times.

If you do not believe me that we are part of rat race then I will give you following examples (at least they prove to me that I am {was?} part of rat race)
1. I want 25% salary hike because even the dumb as* in the office is getting 20% (I failed to ask myself does I deserve 25% - my reason is - even the dumb as* is getting 20%)
2. I don't understand how could I get 56% when the dumb ABC has got 63% (I should have asked what I wrote in exam - why should I think that if 63 for ABC then 70 for me?)
3. I should have a laptop - man all of my friends have it (do I need it? - rather for many the question is do I know how to use it and what is it's use?)

Life would be much much easy if simple answers like - manager is agreed to my reasoning, university agreed with my reasoning or I bought laptop whether I need it or not.
It becomes a habit. By becoming a part of rat race we set our standards based on what people around me are and not on what are my capabilities?

That is why I was thinking now it is time to say "Stop Forrest stop", stop to have a close look at your life, stop to think what you want to do, stop to search who you are, stop to listen to your own mind. Do not run in the rat race where nobody knows where s/he is going. Do not run in the rat race where everybody is living somebody Else's life (without understanding why). Do not run in the race where you forget the basics of life. Do not run in the race where you forget yourself. Do not run in the race which makes you stop dreaming. See your own dreams Forrest, do not make others ideas your dreams.

What will be use of "stopping to think"
1. I won't have to keep confirming from 1000's that what I am doing is right (because I know it is right)
2. I know what I am going to achieve with what I am doing (because I have planned for it and was working to achieve it)
3. I know the road I am traveling (I know what road I am traveling because I have chosen this road)
4. I will be in control of my life.

So Forrest please stop to talk to your mind, let the world run...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think, a known concept describes what you are trying to put here. It is referred as "ततः किम्?" = "Then what?"