Search This Blog

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Why should I meditate?

I did my first official course for learning meditation when I was in 7th standard (I guess). That was part of Children Siddha Samadhi Yoga. After that I did RCRT (Rapid comprehensive review technique) in std 9. I do not remember much experiences at the time of CSSY, but I remember during RCRT me and few friends of mine (Jashan Parekh and others I don't remember) we used to kill flies when others used to meditate.
Afterwards I tried meditation many a times, but most of the times whenever I started with very high aims like I want to see God and all... I could not continue for more than 10 days (not very sure about number of days).

Now today I decided to start meditation again but this time I am sure that I will continue it for long time.

Earlier I used to try meditation, but really speaking - even for CSSY and RCRT teachers used to expect a lot from us (I do not blame teachers - I know most of the teachers were good). The problem was they used to expect that when they say meditate for 10 mins we will meditate like Buddha. Come on, I think even it was not possible for them. So we used to do time pass, because if I go and ask for help general reply of teacher will be "concentrate!!... others can do it why can't you?". Now since I can not see 100s or 200s Buddhas around me on today's date. I am confident now that others though did not complained, they were also waiting for that 10 min time to finish.

After that when I became somewhat old (20-25) I tried meditation mostly to solve problems and to see God. Most of the times my problems were solved and I think I had chance to talk to God. I could not continue again because once the problem is solved I used to forget meditation (you know I am very busy ;))

So why I am writing this and why do I want to start it again?
I thought about it scientifically. Let me give few analogies to explain.
1. In fluid mechanics I learned that steady flow and turbulent flow. Similarly I think our mind gets 100s or 1000s or sometimes 1000000 (basically very large number) of thoughts every moment (turbulent behavior) and we try to go beyond many of them at a time. In turbulent flow of fluid, fluid particle is acted upon by many random direction forces. The flow as such has undermined direction. Now if I meditate I try to bring my thoughts in my control (though the dictionary meaning of meditation may not mean it - I am writing my ideas). So making my thoughts flow like a steady flow - direction of thought can be in control.
E.g. Let's take example of solving some algorithm, if I could tell/ direct my mind to think about nothing else but only that algorithm then I could get the better result.
2. In thermodynamics I learned that entropy (measure of inefficiency) is the reason for inefficiency. Again this entropy comes because of randomness. If I consider my mind as a machine who's output is thoughts then when I meditate I reduce the randomness in mind, so mind works efficiently.

I think this time I have good scientific reason behind meditation. I am hopeful that I will continue meditation 2 times a day, at least for next 30-60 days. I promise here that I won't take lunch if I do not meditate in the morning and I won't take dinner if I don't meditate in the evening. This condition is just for 45 days. After 45 days I don't know but at least update the results here in comments.

How should I meditate -
1. Focus your mind on anything you want. It could be 'C++'. It could be 'Project tasks'. It could be 'plan for next day'. It could be 'social topic'. Sit for 10mins without loosing focus from this topic/ subject.
2. In the evening I should meditate about what do I did today. Was there possibility for improvement? What are my plans for tomorrow.
3. In the morning I should meditate about what all things I want to do today? How can I make my today better than past?

Cheers!!
Ashish

6 comments:

Ashish Sarode said...

Want to share few good experiences here
1. After 2-3 attempts now I do meditation almost exactly for 10mins without using any alarm.
2. During meditation I realized that when I eat more than necessary food I can not take deep breath, when I do meditation with no food for hours before then I can take deep breath (it is good experience). From this experience I think for healthy life we should take limited diet, breathing experiences while meditation are equally application to normal life.

Cheers!!
Ashish
P.S. I have not missed a single lunch or dinner from the date I have promised to meditate 2 times a day.

Ashish Sarode said...

Still date I have not missed a single lunch or dinner from the date I have promised to meditate 2 times.
But there is one problem - I observed that because of time limit I have set as 10 mins sometimes I fail to concentrate. 10mins time limit diverts my mind from focus on inner mind to outer world.
If you decide to meditate do not set any time limit. Since I have promised for 45 days - I do not have option but to complete 10 mins.

Ashish Sarode said...

Recently I am reading a book by name "Antaricha magoa", this is name of Marathi edition. Name of English edition is "Know thyself".

In Marathi edition from page 189 to @192 there are good guideline given for meditation.
What I understood is -
1. Focus you attention on eye pupils. Observe they are not moving.
2. Just observe the eye pupils are not moving - do not think why etc. neither do try to take control on it's movements.
3. If some thoughts are coming to your mind just observe them, do not get involved in them.

I found these guidelines useful. Hope it will help you as well.
It is possible that I have misunderstood some part - if you want to know exact details read the book.

Cheers!!
Ashish

Anonymous said...

Buddy,
You are point blank on target. U r on rigth track !!!
Dont worry about time limit....more u wil immerse deep, even 1 hr will fly like second. Try to remain unattached to emotional thoughts those arise during these sittings. Dont suppress or try to whisk them away, but just observe as bystander.
BTW, who is the writer of book "Know Thyself"?

Ashish Sarode said...

Thanks Vikrant.

Author of "Know thyself" - Go. Kh. Pradhan.

Marathi translation - Antaricha magoa.
Translator - M. Na. Zol

Ashish Sarode said...

Completed my 45 promised days - I did meditation for 10min in the morning and evening without fail.

I think now the read journey starts - now I do not have any compulsion to meditate, I will do it for joy of it - will keep writing new experiences in comments.

Cheers!!
Ashish